2020 Whitehaven Greg Sauvignon Blanc
Colour / Appearance: Light straw, with a green hue.
Aroma / Bouquet: Classic gooseberry, blackcurrant, grapefruit and fresh herbs, with complexing wet rock and nettle notes, typical of the Awatere Valley sub-region.
Palate: A medium-bodied palate with concentrated and vibrant ripe green flavours and a crunchy mouth-watering texture that persist onto a long, balanced finish.
Cellaring: Our ‘Greg’ Sauvignon is made to be appreciated either newly bottled or with careful cellaring for 2-3 years.
Food Match: Delicious with oysters or green shell mussels, as well as lobster and white fish. The wine also pairs nicely with summer salads, poultry and goat’s cheese. Our ‘Greg’ Sauvignon Blanc is also the perfect aperitif.
Serve: Lightly chilled.
The ‘Greg’ range is dedicated to the memory of our founder Greg White, 1952-2007.
Residual Sugar: 4.2 g/L
Titratable Acidity: 6.8 g/L
Harvest Date: 30th March 2020
Varieties: 100% Sauvignon Blanc, MS clone.
Grape Growers: The Peter family, Alton Downs Vineyard, Awatere Valley.
Climate: 2020 was a classical growing season with plenty of sunshine, not too much heat through Summer and a return to cool nights preceding harvest, ensuring acidities and flavours remained bright and vibrant. This was all built on good rainfall pre Christmas, which set the vines up with healthy working canopies that held through to the end of harvest. The weather over harvest was settled and dry, allowing fruit to be harvested in lovely conditions.
Winemaking: Fruit from Alton Downs Vineyard with East-West row orientation was machine-harvested in cool evening conditions, destemmed and lightly pressed with minimal skin contact in the winery. Juice was settled with a high degree of clarity before fermentation at low temperature and with selected yeast strains in order to capture the purity of the site and preserve fruit expression.
- 2021 Sakura Japan Women's Wine Awards: Gold Medal
- 'Intense punchy sauvignon blanc with passionfruit, lime, grapefruit, capsicum and gooseberry flavours. A lively wine showing a nice interplay of contrasting characters and pleasing acidity that drives a lingering finish.' Gold Ribbon, 95/100, (Fourth vintage in a row), Bob Campbell, NZ
- "Named after the late Greg White, Whitehaven’s co-founder, the ‘Greg’ range of wines are only created when the fruit is absolutely perfect and are made by winemaker Diana Katardzhieva. The 2020 is pretty darn delicious and absolutely stacked with citrus, lemongrass, crushed basil and classic punchy passionfruit on the nose and palate. It’s incredibly refreshing to sip, giving the tastebuds an excellent exfoliation as it slides across them and down the oesophagus. It’s incredibly juicy and I could sip it all day." 5 Stars, Yvonne Lorkin, NZ
- 'Ripe, fruity, varietal, pungent and elegant with a power-drive in the initial bouquet that transitions to a softer more satin textured expression. Aromas of sage and spice, citrus and peach, tropical fruit moments and wet mineral - stone qualities. On the palate - crisp, dry and packed with flavour. It also shows it’s elegant side as well with a satin, salty mouthfeel, fruit flavours that reflect the nose, an abundance of acidity and fine fruit spice flavours. Balanced and well made with a lengthy finish. Ready today and through 2024+.' 94/100 Points, Cameron Douglas, MS
- "Wonderfully ripe and instantly appealing, the wine shows passionfruit, feijoa, green rockmelon and kaffir lime characters on the nose. It's equally impressive on the palate, offering excellent concentration and persistency, making it splendidly appealing and drinkable. At its best: now to 2025." 95/100 Points, Sam Kim, NZ