2020 Whitehaven Marlborough Chardonnay
Colour / Appearance: Mid straw with a bright clarity.
Aroma / Bouquet: Peach, mandarin and nectarine fruit flavours complexed with mealy, hazelnut and butter notes. In the background there is also a flinty, mineral character.
Palate: Elegant and harmonious, fleshy and vibrantly fruity. A medium bodied wine with a creamy texture and soft acidity. Good richness of ripe peach and grilled grapefruit flavours. The savoury, slight spice and mineral notes add complexity, flavour depth and texture.
Cellaring: We recommend drinking our 2020 Chardonnay in the first 4-6 years, but the wine has the structure and closure to allow continued development with careful cellaring.
Food Match: Our Chardonnay is a food-friendly wine. A perfect match for Mediterranean food, pork, chicken, and creamy mushroom pasta.
Serve: Lightly chilled.
Residual Sugar: 2.6 g/L
Titratable Acidity: 5.42 g/L
Harvest Date: 19th – 31st March 2020
Whitehaven’s Pauls Road vineyard, Rapaura.
Rothay Vineyard, Wratts Road, Rapaura
Climate: 2020 was a classical growing season with plenty of sunshine, not too much heat through Summer and a return to cool nights preceding harvest, ensuring acidities and flavours remained bright and vibrant. This was all built on good rainfall pre-Christmas, which set the vines up with healthy working canopies that held through to the end of harvest. The weather over harvest was settled and dry, allowing fruit to be harvested in lovely condition.
Winemaking: The fruit was hand-picked and immediately whole cluster pressed. The heavy pressings were kept separate to minimise harsh phenolics. The juice was lightly settled before being racked and inoculated for fermentation. Halfway through fermentation, the wine was transferred to French oak of which 22% were new and predominantly 500L puncheons. Malo-lactic fermentation was carried out in all the barrels. Lees aged for 10 months to aid texture and richness on the palate.
- 2021 New Zealand International Wine Show: Gold Medal
- "Aromas of white fruits from peach to apple, pear then lemon. Oak and barrel scents of brown spices, new wood moments and a youthful, fine toasty complexity. Satin-cream textured palate with acidity and wood flavours framing a core of fruit to reflect the bouquet. Warming alcohol, fine wood tannins, some flavours of citrus and spice precede a lengthy finish and a classic style Whitehaven do so well. Best drinking from purchase through 2025+." Cameron Douglas, MS, NZ - 93/100 Points, Excellent
- "Wonderfully ripe and elegantly complex, the enticing bouquet shows nectarine, vanilla, roasted cashew and brioche characters with a hint of citrus overtone. The concentrated palate offers pristine fruit flavours combined with discreet oak influence, leading to a lengthy creamy finish. At its best: now to 2026." Sam Kim, Wine Orbit, NZ - 5 Stars
- “Silken-textured, mouth-filling chardonnay with ripe apple, nectarine and grapefruit flavours plus a seasoning of ginger and toasted nut flavours. A crisp, dry wine with a refreshing and lengthy finish.” Bob Campbell, MW, NZ - 91/100 Points
- "Packed with ripe peach, punchy pineapple, roast almond and buttery, slightly charred, cinnamon toast. The acidity is crisp, the textures taut and sexy and it’s a ripe, stylish thing indeed." Yvonne Lorkin, NZ - 4.5 Stars
- Joelle Thomson, DrinksBiz Magazine - 17.5/20 Points