2021 Whitehaven Marlborough Noble Riesling 375ml
Colour / Appearance: Pale Lemon.
Aroma / Bouquet: Lifted nose of dried mango and apple, with a hint of quince paste and ripe apricot notes.
Palate: Dried apricot, apple and honey, with an underlying core of citrus fruit that cuts through these rich flavours.
Cellaring: Delicious drunk now but will age gracefully over many years if cellared correctly.
Food Match: Try this wine with rich, soft cheeses and sweet desserts.
Serve: Lightly chilled.
Residual Sugar: 186 g/L
Titratable Acidity: 7.2 g/L
Harvest Dates: 29th April & 6th May 2021
Grape Growing: The fruit for this wine was sourced entirely from the Best Vineyard, located in Brancott Valley. The vines are pruned to two canes on a vertical shoot positioned trellis. Shoot thinning, leaf plucking, and trimming are used to achieve balanced vines, a healthy canopy and clean fruit. Minimal crop thinning was required in 2021 due to naturally low crops.
Climate: 2021 will be remembered as a season of two halves. The early part of the growing season was marked by two severe frost burn events which affected much of the region to varying degrees. This was followed by variable cool and wet weather through flowering, resulting in fewer berries setting per bunch, further reducing crops after the frost damage. Post-Christmas however, we could not have asked for a better season. The weather remained warm, but not hot, and we had beautiful diurnal shift leading into harvest, retaining freshness and energy in the fruit and providing the perfect conditions for flavour development. After the main harvest period the region received some well-needed rainfall. This moisture created the perfect environment for the development of botrytis in the vineyard, and as such allowed us to make a Noble Riesling this year.
Winemaking: The fruit for this wine was hand-harvested by members of the wider Whitehaven team. At the winery, the fruit was destemmed and crushed, then allowed to soak in our press overnight for maximum flavour extraction. The following day the juice was pressed off and was then allowed to settle for 48 hours. After this settling period, the clear juice was racked off and fermentation was then started with a selected yeast strain. Each ferment was stopped when we felt the balance between sweetness and acidity was right. These ferments were then blended, and the wine was bottled on the 3rd of August 2021.
- 2021 New Zealand International Wine Show: Trophy - Champion Sweet Wine
- "Bright, even, pale yellow with depth. The nose is complex, gently growing in volume, aromas of botrytis influenced beeswax, honey melded with lifted white floral, lemon balm and apricot. Full-bodied, luscious to taste, rich on the palate with fresh aromas of apricot, lemon balm entwined with honey, beeswax, a hint of white spice and lifted floral adorned. The wine has excellent concentration and intensity; a complex range of flavours are in harmony with the support of vibrant acidity. The mouthfeel is unctuous and exquisite, filling the palate with pure joy. This is a harmonious, complex noble Riesling with great balance and charm." 5 Stars, Candice Chow, Raymond Chan Wine Reviews
- "A delectable offering, it’s beautifully lifted and brightly expressed on the nose showing dried apricot, honey, orange marmalade and subtle spice notes. The palate displays excellent weight and succulent fruit intensity, well complemented by gorgeous sweetness and vibrant acidity. It’s creamy and lingering with delicious finish." 5 Stars, Sam Kim, Wine Orbit
- "Delicious in its infancy, Whitehaven Marlborough Noble Riesling 2021 is a single-vineyard wine, from grapes shrivelled by Botrytis cinerea (‘noble rot’). Bright, light lemon/green, it is richly scented and vibrantly fruity, with intense, peachy, citrusy, slightly honeyed flavours and a finely poised, sweet (186 grams/litre of residual sugar), crisp finish. Still very youthful, it's well worth cellaring, but already hard to resist." 5 Stars, Michael Cooper, NZ
- "Sweet, concentrated riesling with a suggestion of honeyed botrytis supported by citrus, lime, stone fruit and apricot flavours. The wine has a good balance between sweetness and fruity acidity leaving a clean, fresh finish." 93/100 Points, Bob Campbell, NZ
- "Seductive aromas and flavours of caramelised apple and sweet peach, lemon and lime flowers with honey. Deliciously creamy, sweet and youthful with a core of sweet honey fruit flavours, contrasting acidity and long finish." 93/100 Points, Excellent, Cameron Douglas, NZ