Listed May 2023:
We are looking for a Viticulture Technician to join our friendly, growing team. This is new, full-time permanent position.
Whitehaven Wine Company is a leading New Zealand family-owned wine company producing an award-winning collection of 100% Marlborough wines with an uncompromising focus on quality. Our winery is located in the heart of Marlborough’s golden mile of winemaking and our broad portfolio of wines is sustainably produced from accredited sustainable vineyards from across the region. Here at Whitehaven, we pride ourselves on providing a fantastic working and learning environment for all of our team!
About the Role
Reporting to the Viticulturist, the Viticulture Technician will be responsible for assisting the viticultural team with monitoring of vine performance and health, monitoring of block/vineyard performance and data collection.
Key Responsibilities Include
- Monitoring vine health for all company and grower blocks
- Carrying out sampling: soil, leaf and petiole, inflorescence counts, yield estimation bunch counts and harvest maturity sampling
- Monitoring fruit quality in the lead up to harvest
- Supervising and working with the summer sampling team.
- Coordinating with the viticulturist for the daily yield estimation, fruit maturity sampling and growing season sampling work
- Maintaining accurate records for the yield estimation program (via Vure), soil and petiole results (via Integrape), and pest and disease records (via Vure)
- Assisting with monitoring and data collection for any vineyard trials
- Carrying out performance tests on irrigation systems
- Assisting managers with monitoring of pruning crews to ensure the job is completed to the right specifications.
- Horticultural or Viticultural degree or diploma and/or demonstrated experience
- Strong computer skills particularly Microsoft excel
- Time management and planning skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Passionate and keen to learn and develop
- Ability to work flexible / additional hours to meet the seasonal requirements of the role
- A current full driver’s licence
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Annual wellness allowance
- Annual wine allowance