2021 Whitehaven Greg Sauvignon Blanc
Colour / Appearance: Pale lemon-green, with bright clarity.
Aroma / Bouquet: Our 2021 Greg Sauvignon Blanc offers a refined, pure, and distinctive expression of the Awatere Valley sub region. It has fresh and lifted aromas of green-gage plums, tomato leaf, grapefruit, gentle herbaceous notes, and hints of wet river stones.
Palate: Complex and textured with flavours of fresh green herbs, green pepper, and layers of white peach, boxwood, and a subtle suggestion of sea salt. The palate is concentrated yet elegant and finishes with lingering flavours, refreshing acidity and punchy minerality.
Cellaring: We recommend drinking our 2021 Greg Sauvignon Blanc while it is young and fresh, but the wine can develop nicely beyond five years if carefully cellared.
Food Match: A perfect accompaniment to fresh seafood, summer salads, grilled herbed chicken, and creamy goat cheese.
Serve: Lightly chilled.
The ‘Greg’ range is dedicated to the memory of our founder Greg White, 1952-2007.
Residual Sugar: 2.6 g/L
Titratable Acidity: 7.4 g/L
Harvest Date: 20th March 2021
Varieties: 100% Sauvignon Blanc, MS clone.
Grape Growers: The Peter family, Alton Downs Vineyard, Awatere Valley.
Climate: Vintage 2021 will be remembered as a season of two halves. The early part of the growing season was marked by two frost events that affected much of the region. Following that, occasionally cool and wet weather persisted through flowering, resulting in fewer berries setting per bunch and further reducing yields. However, midway through the season, growers were rewarded with long, warm, sun-drenched days and crisp, cool nights. These ideal conditions allowed for mature, layered flavour development coupled with the region’s signature crisp, energetic structure. Harvest was early and well-paced, with clean, bright fruit coming into the cellar.
Grape Growing: We are proud to source the fruit for this wine from a single vineyard in Awatere valley. Vines are pruned to between two and three canes on a vertical shoot positioned trellis. Shoot thinning, leaf plucking, and trimming are used to achieve balanced vines, a healthy canopy and clean fruit. Minimal crop thinning was required in 2021 due to naturally low crops.
Winemaking: Fruit from Alton Downs Vineyard was machine harvested during the cool evening and pressed immediately with minimal skin contact. After cold settling, the clear juice was fermented in stainless steel tanks at 12°C – 16°C with selected yeast strains to preserve pure sub regional characters and varietal flavours. Wine sat on light yeast lees in tank for up to 2 months before bottling.
- 2021 New Zealand International Wine Show: Gold Medal
- "Bright, even, very pale straw yellow. The nose is poised, tightly packed with aromas of lime, passionfruit, guava, entwined with citrus blossom, herbs, crunchy minerals and a whiff of sea breeze. Medium-light bodied, intense aromas of lime, guava, passionfruit elegantly presented, melded with tamarillo, tomato vine, nettle, followed by white spice, minerals and salinity. A strong acid backbone haul along with powdery phenolics, salinity linger to a long, refined finish. This elegant, vibrant Sauvignon Blanc shines with savoury minerality and excellent pristine, complex fruit flavours. Match with pan-fried flounder and goat's cheese ravioli over the next 3-4 years." 94/100 Points, Candice Chow, Raymond Chan Wine Reviews
- "A striking bouquet with pungency and power, fresh herbs with a core of citrus and tropical fruits. Equally powerful on the palate with flavours of sweet lemon and white peach, basil and mango, stony minerality and a salty, oyster shell moment. Crisp, crunchy and fresh on the palate with punchy acidity and a fine savoury mouthfeel." 94 Points, Excellent, Cameron Douglas, MS
- "Bold and quite textural sauvignon blanc with typical grassy, green capsicum and lemongrass flavours that I associate with the Awatere subregion. It gives a nod in the direction of Sancerre. A well-made wine with character and intensity." 95/100 Points, 5th vintage in a row, Top Rank, Bob Campbell, MW
- "The intensely varietal 2021 vintage (5*) is a highly aromatic wine, tank-fermented and briefly lees-aged. Light lemon/green, it has fresh, penetrating, tropical fruit and herbaceous flavours, enlivened by racy acidity, and a finely poised, lasting finish. A benchmark Awatere Valley style." 5 Stars, Michael Cooper, NZ
- "A glorious rendition of the variety showing passionfruit, kiwifruit, kaffir lime and crunchy apple characters on the nose, leading to an immensely concentrated palate delivering pristine fruit flavours together with fine texture and bright acidity. Deliciously long and satisfying." 96 Points, Sam Kim, Wine Orbit